CLOSELY HELD BUSINESS STOCK
A business owner who contributes closely held stock to Antioch College will be allowed a charitable deduction for the fair-market value of the stock. An additional benefit is that the donor will escape the potential capital-gain tax on any appreciation in the value of the stock.
Subsequent to the gift, the corporation could purchase the stock from Antioch College for cash. This not only enables the donor to retain complete control over the company but also makes cash available to Antioch College for its current needs. As long as Antioch College is not obligated to sell the stock to the corporation, the transaction should produce no adverse tax results.
How It Works
- You make a gift of your closely held stock to Antioch College and get a qualified appraisal to determine its value
- You receive a charitable income-tax deduction for the full fair-market value of the stock
- Antioch College may keep the stock or offer to sell it back to your company
- You receive an income-tax deduction for the fair-market value of stock
- You pay no capital-gain tax on any appreciation
- Your company may repurchase the stock, thereby keeping your ownership interest intact
- Antioch College receives a significant gift
- Contact Susanne Hashim, VP of Advancement, at (937) 319-0163 or firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional information on stock transfers to benefit Antioch College.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include Antioch College in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Antioch College Corporation
Address: 1 Morgan Place, Yellow Springs, OH 45387
Federal Tax ID Number: 26-1672457
- Complete and send us the Declaration of Intent Form.